"MAXDOG" is now available on Amazon.com!!
Click HERE for the 'Print-on-Demand' version
Click HERE for the Kindle (USA) version
Click HERE for the Kindle (UK) version
Caryl Moll's author page on Amazon, click HERE

Dear Readers and faithful friends,

After a number of years of wonderful blogging, this blog has effectively become dormant - except for occasional updates regarding my book, MAXDOG. I have left this blog as a legacy to my dog and a place of sanctuary where we can reflect upon his life. Take your time, peruse the pages spanning Max's 18 months in cyberspace. Feel refreshed and uplifted because his story is an amazing one of..."LIVING LIFE TO THE MAX!"
My activities have now moved on to my new blog entitled "LIVING LIFE TO THE MAX". Please join me there where you can read about my family and canine companions. I also invite you to visit MAXDOG's FANPAGE on FACEBOOK. You can follow the specific links by clicking below:

* 'LIVING LIFE TO THE MAX: click HERE
*MAXDOG'S FACEBOOK FAN PAGE: click HERE
* MAXDOG, the book: click HERE

If you would like to follow me on a deeper, spiritual level, then I invite you to visit my more personal blog:

May God bless you and thank you for following me!
MAXMOM IN SOUTH AFRICA

MAXDOG's CHRISTMAS TRIBUTE

Tuesday, June 9, 2009

WHAT IT MEANS TO HAVE A LONG NECK!

mmmWOOF! WOOF!

We are having one of those bitterly cold spells in Johannesburg today. Gee, it can get really icy here! We have been in the house all day with Mom doing jigs and drinking warm stuff to keep warm.
























Since it is so cold here and since there is nothing much to report (except that Mom's ankles are becoming boring to look at), I thought I'd show you another African Dog....

THE GIRAFFE

This is another one of those wild animals that stays in the bush. But this one is not so dangerous - except for a kick or head butt. If you look carefully, you can see that there are no tufts of hair on this guy's horns. That means that he is a male - the males wear off all their hair on their horns during fights. (Thankfully we keep our hair - hopefully - during our fights!)

Anyway, this guy is really tall. If I were to stand next to him, his hocks would be just above my head...WOW! I just love his beautiful pattern on his skin. Can you imagine being a golden retriever with that same pattern?!

I want to ask a question:....
Why do you think that these guys move from tree to tree during grazing and don't simply stay at one tree and finish off that tree????

Well.....

...the answer is that trees talk to each other when they are being eaten.
Yes, I'm not a crazy dog! They release 'TANNIN", a bitter stuff, in their leaves (the same as you get in tea). The tannin makes the leaves bitter and the giraffe then has to move on to another tree to get a better taste!
Fascinating!

Another thing...did you know that the human being and the giraffe have the same number of neck bones?
Yes, they do!! (The human's bones are much smaller though). Hey, I'm happy I don't have such a long neck...Can you imagine having a pain in the neck?

Anyway, that's the African lesson for today. I must go and ask Mom for my food...I'm getting hungry too. Thankfully I don't eat bitter leaves.

Luv ya all!!!
mmmMAXxxx

7 comments:

Paco,Milo, Maya and mommy Simona said...

Woowowowoooooooo...great post dear Max!!!!!!!
we love to know so much things about your wonderful land!!!!!!!
and to hear about the giraffe's long neck.....them are sooooooooooooooo funny dogs....we would love to see giraffe really with you as a great leader of us!!!!!
Lots of love and kisses!!

Rufus and Indie said...

Thank you so much for the award Max! You're the best doggie ever!
You rock!
Kisses
Rufus and Indie

Hamish Westie said...

Thanks for another fascinating post. And about the trees talking to each other, it's got me thinking. You know when we dogs leave our 'marks' on the trees in the park, do you think they (the trees that is) start gossiping about us?
Cheers! H.

Paxton said...

Woof, woof Max! Love your blog! I think showing off South Africa is a great idea. I might just ask my Mummy if she would mind doing something similar for me about where I live. I NEVER knew you had SOOOO many different types of dogs there. Woooofeeeee - I am barkless at the moment!
Mummy says that she has heard the story about the trees talking what Hamish mentions about trees gossiping about us made me think! At the moment I do not have to worry about that yet - I am only at the squatting stage but suppose I will soon grow into the leg-lifting thingy.
You sure are one handsome dude (no, don't get the wrong idea now) - just paying you a compliment.
Will keep coming back to meet more dogs you introduce.
Woof
Paxton

Thor and Jack said...

Great lesson today Max! The Giraffe is so nice. I am enjoying so much knowing about your lovely land. Thanks for sharing with us :)

Thor xxx

Lorenza said...

Hi, Max!
Here is very hot!
You made a pawesome post about giraffes. Sure I did not know about why they change trees! Yes, it is very interesting!
Thanks for sharing it!
Kisses and hugs
Lorenza

Stella said...

The giraffe is one of my favorite animals to watch on the TV. I especially like the babies, do you?

Kisses,
Stella